I found this recipe in my recipe organizer. I don’t know if this is the same recipe we made in Home Ec but if not, it’s very similar. Please pay particular attention to NUMBER 6 in the directions, cut your waxed paper squares ahead of time and pay attention to the cooking stage of the sugar. Undercook it and you will have fudge. Overcook it and it will be impossible to chew.
Here’s a link about my first taffy making experience at home. Candy Making 101
2 cups sugar
1 cup light corn syrup
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 cup water
2 teaspoons butter
A few drops of food coloring
1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon extract, of your choice
1. Combine sugar, corn syrup, salt and water in a 2 quart pan.
2. Cook over medium high heat, stirring constantly until sugar dissolves. Be careful not to splash the sides with the sugar mixture.
3. Heat mixture, without stirring, until it reaches a hard-ball stage.260*
4. Remove from heat and mix in remaining ingredients.
5. Pour onto a lightly buttered baking sheet.
6. Cool until just able to handle.
7. Butter hands and gather taffy into a ball and pull.
8. Continue to pull until light in color and hard to pull. This works best if you have someone to help you.
9. Divide into fourths.
10. Pull each fourth into a 1/2″ thick rope
11. Cut into 1″ pieces using buttered scissors
12. Wrap individually in waxed paper or it will stick together.